Saturday 20 October 2007

I have a new design crush...

....and his name is Frank Roop. Move over Miles, this is the new man of glam.

I am totally smitten with the Boston home that designer Frank Roop created for himself and his wife that was featured in this month's Elle Decor. It has everything that I love: interesting and luxurious surfaces; natural and tactile materials; contemporary art; vintage furniture (especially French 40's); dramatic colours; put together brilliantly in a fabulous high-ceiling brownstone. I was drooling so much over his home that I had to check out his previous projects, and they do not disappoint. All of the eight other projects featured on his site are equally as chic, stylish and glamorous so check out his website if you haven't already!

The combination of mosaic tiled floor, venetian plastered walls and his choice of colours looks quite fresh in their entry. The stool is a Robsjohn-Gibbings design that I've never seen before.


I love this room, to me its simply breath taking. The wallcovering, which is meant to resemble limestone, is by Cannon-Bullock and looks perfect in this room. The mixture of custom made and vintage and antique pieces mix effortlessly in this grandly proportioned room.

The other end of the living room - the cover shot - features a spectacular fireplace surrounded by opalescent mother of pearl looking tiles.

Another Robsjohn-Gibbings piece in the dining room (the table), an amazing Curtis Jeré sculpture above the travertine mantel, floating shelves and shots of vivid colour make this room a shimmering masterpiece.

This is another favorite. The study contains a Jansen desk, an Adnet coffee table, Arbus lighting as well as Roop designed pieces. It's like a roll-call of all the best designers! I also have to say the photographer has captured this room so well and ensured the colours still look so ethereal.


This shot is from the master bedroom which features a Harvey Probber desk, a Curtis Jeré mirror and other vintage pieces. Simply stunning.


Photography of Frank Roop's home by Eric Roth, featured in Elle Decor (US) November 2007.

16 comments:

Things That Inspire said...

I love the colors he uses! The grays, blues...they are wonderful.

Anonymous said...

A great find. I especially liked the first room in green.

Suzy said...

TTI, I know, they really are wonderful, aren't they!

Suzy said...

Thanks anonymous, and thanks for stopping by. I love that room too!

The Peak of Chic said...

What a lucky person to own such amazing pieces! I agree with you about the photographs being ethereal. The home is serene but not boring at all!

ALL THE BEST said...

I love these rooms too Suzy!!

Anna Spiro said...

Some beautiful rooms here Suzy!
XO
Anna

Habitually Chic said...

The whole November issue was just filled with beautiful interiors! And this one was my favorite too. It's so soothing yet interesting with all the pops of color! Love it!

The Paris Apartment said...

this is just overwhelmingly serene and beautiful. something to strive for that's for sure!

Suzy said...

I agree POC, I only hope that I could only a few of those amazing pieces in my life. But the home is an incredible backdrop for them too.

Suzy said...

Glad someone else liked them too Rhonda!

Suzy said...

I agree Anna, they're stunning.

Suzy said...

HC, I totally agree, it was jam packed with lush images. I couldn't put it down. Frank Roop has an incredible eye for colour, that's for sure.

Suzy said...

PA - these images are very inspirational.

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

This whole place is just some kind of crazy beautiful. This might just be my dream home.

Anonymous said...

I am a big fan of your site. You have great taste. Love the photos and your comments. Monique M from HK