Monday 14 January 2008

Melbourne

OK, It's official. I miss Melbourne. I've only been back in HK a week and I'm homesick already...I guess its natural for people to love their home town...but I REALLY love Melbourne (yes, okay, just a tad biased here ;)!

Here are my top 10 reasons for loving Melbourne so much:
1) Best food in Australia, bar none (sorry to the rest of oz!),
2) The arts and cultural capital of Australia,
3) Within 1-2 hours drive of several great wine regions (Mornington Peninsula & Yarra Valley in particular),
4) Great shopping - fashionista's love Melbourne. There are so many great shopping precincts it's hard to know where to start! - But here are a few to get you started...city centre (especially the old GPO), Chapel St -Prahran, Acland St - St.Kilda, Brunswick St - Fitzroy, Bridge Rd - Richmond, Queen Victoria Market, etc. etc.,
5) Fantastic architecture. Where else woudl you find these 4 buildings on just one street corner?


Flinders Street Station


Federation Square

The Young & Jackson Pub

St. Pauls Cathedral

6) It's within a few hours drive of some of the best beaches in the world (13th Beach, Bells Beach, Point Addis, Fairhaven...and the entire Great Ocean Road),
7) Outdoor cinemas - there are tonnes of them in and around the city over summer
8) Great festivals (see below)
9) The coolest and funkist bars (tucked away and hidden in the central business district laneways - half the fun is finding them! - check out Deck of Secrets if you're interested),
10) The Laneway Commissions - temporary art installations in the CBD laneways - comissioned by the city of Melbourne.

PLUS, there is something on pretty much year round (although it usually centres around summer)...check this out:
January - Australian Open Tennis tournament
January - Big Day Out (alternative music festival)
January - Midsumma - Melbourne's Gay & Lesbian festival
January to March - Moonlight Cinema in the botanical gardens
February to March - Melbourne Food & Wine Festival
February - Yarra Valley Grape Grazing Festival (wine and jazz amongst the vines)
February - St.Kilda Festival (music, food, arts etc.)
December - Boxing Day Cricket test match

There really is something for everyone in Melbourne (and I'm sure I've missed out heaps of stuff). Just in case I've inspired any of you to visit in the not too distant future there are tonnes of great guides to help you navigate the wonderful city I call(ed) home. Deck of Secrets, Melbourne Design Guide, Luxe Guides, Lonely Planet, Visit Melbourne, Only Melbourne, That's Melbourne. Enjoy! P.S. please feel free to email me if you are planning a visit...I'd be happy to make some more recommendations! P.P.S. if anyone else wants to share their top 10 reasons for loving their home city I'd love to hear them!

8 comments:

ALL THE BEST said...

Some of our dearest friends here in Scotland are from Melbourne! I can't wait to go there some day!!

HOBAC said...

total shot in the dark, but you don't know a Kieran Ogden from Melbourne (St Kilda to be precise)?

Suzy said...

I hope you do Rhonda, it's great!

Suzy said...

HOB&C - hmm, no I don't but the name does ring a bell...maybe someone in my extended group of friends does...I'll look into it!

Brilliant Asylum said...

I am sold. Hope to make it Melbourne one of these days (Hong Kong too).

TIG said...

Suzy--Melbourne sounds fantastic and you've given us such a complete list that there's no reason not to book the next flight!

blah said...

i'm homesick too now!!:-)

Camilla said...

I know Im quite late to this comment party - but better late than never right?!!!
I totally share your views on this marvelous city that I am lucky enough to call home!
loving your blog - though Im a bit late!!!