Thursday 7 August 2008

a sign of the times...?

In case you haven't already noticed, 1st Dibs has added a new "price reduced" search facility. This, coupled with the dropping value of the US Dollar, will surely encourage overseas purchasers, like me. Not that I need the extra encouragement! Actually, the HK Dollar is pegged to the US Dollar so it's not doing me much good, although I have bigger problems than that. Remember the dining table I bought myself for my birthday - 2 months ago? Well, it's still sitting in the shop I purchased it from waiting to be picked up. Why, you ask? Because I am having trouble finding a shipping company that can provide customer service along with international door to door shipping. So, if anyone out there has any tips on how I can get this table shipped from Miami to Hong Kong, please let me know!!

5 comments:

HOBAC said...

This may sound odd, but try Mail Boxes Etc. They have just taken to advertising in the antiques trade. Have not had a problem so far with them. Good luck.

The Peak of Chic said...

Suzy, I wish I could help but I'm afraid I can't recommend anybody. Do you think the blogger in Thailand- The Corinthian Column- might have some ideas?

Suzy said...

Thanks to everyone for the comments and emails with recommendations...you guys are such a great resource! I think I've managed to find a shipper, so fingers crossed! I might get the table here before Christmas!

J.Covington said...

Why don't you call H.K. Sotheby's? Ask who they use to move big pieces from the N.Y. house over there?

Suzy said...

That's a great idea Alex! I have it sorted out now, I think. But will definitely keep that in mind for next time!