Wednesday 27 August 2008

French chic

I was very excited to read this morning that someone is finally publishing a book on the legendary French decorator, Jacques Grange. And not just anyone, Editions du Regard is the same publisher that brought us the original monograph's of Jean-Michel Frank, Emile-Jacques Ruhlmann, as well as the now out of print and incredibly rare and expensive work on Eugene Printz (despite the price tag, I am still longing to get my hands on a copy). Written by Monsieur Grange's life partner, and sometime collaborator, Pierre Passebon, it's due out in September - and I will certainly make sure I get my hands on a copy.

Speaking of collaborations, the power couple in question have come together on a project for the first time, working on New York's soon to be re-launched "The Mark Hotel". The exquisite interiors were created by Monsieur Grange, and Monsieur Passebon commissioned one-off pieces for the hotel collection (which will also be sold in the Hotel's boutique) by some of the contemporary artists he represents with his store, Galerie du Passage. These artists include Ron Arad, Mattia Bonetti, Guy de Rougemont and Vladimir Kagan. Not bad, eh? With interiors by Jacques Grange, and an amazing mix of 20th century and contemporary pieces, this sounds like my kind of hotel! I will definitely have to try and stay there next time I'm in New York...although it's quite likely I'll never leave...


I love the look of this place - I think I could move in right now and not change a single thing!

J'dore this bathroom! It's absolute perfection - but then what else you expect from Jacques Grange!?

All images from "The Mark Hotel" website.

9 comments:

columnist said...

I stayed there when it had been decorated by Philippe Starck, which probably dates me. This collaboration looks a lot fresher. But it's a great location in NYC.

Things That Inspire said...

Just when I think that I am really a Swedish/Belgian/French/European style admirer (a la Cote de Texas), I see the beautiful sleek images on your blog and think...that is really beautiful. I suppose that variety is the spice of life - it is what keeps things interesting!

Suzy said...

Columnist - I have no idea when that was, so don't worry about being "dated" ;) I can't wait to head back to NYC just so I can stay there...

Things that inspire - thank you, that's so sweet - and I know what you mean...I want to go home and redecorate every night almost just because I see so many beautiful images from all the blogs I read! It's hard to stick to one style...

Anonymous said...

j'adore = i adore in french

(je= I, adore=adore)

I j'dore= I I adore

Suzy said...

Thanks for the French lesson Anon! While I admit that my French is almost non-existant, I did actually know that...so it was a bad typo. Thanks for pointing it out...I've amended my little mistake.

The Peak of Chic said...

Thanks for the heads up on the Grange book. This is great news indeed!!

SimplyGrove said...

Lovely post and images!
Come over to my blog for a great giveaway!!

Raina Cox said...

Thanks for the scoop. I can't wait to get my hands on that book!

Fifi Flowers said...

LOVE the dining area!