Friday 2 April 2010

I'm back!

I had such a great time in Tokyo with friends, but it sure is nice to be home. Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions about what to do, but I actually lived in Tokyo for 3 years before I moved to Hong Kong, so was hardly a tourist. However, it had been 6 years since we left and this was my first time back since then. I'd forgotten much of the Japanese I knew, but that's what Sake is good for ;) While we did get a sneak peek of the cherry blossoms (see the photo below I took at Shinjuku Gyoen Park) the weather was much colder than normal for spring. The weather was warming up as we left so I have a feeling there will be lots of Hanami parties all over Tokyo this weekend. Apart from attending our lovely friend's wedding we made it to the Tsukiji fish market and managed to eat and drink way to much for the entire trip.



And somehow I found time for a little bit of shopping too....

Remember this post I did a few months ago about the lovely sculptural bottle openers by Oji Design? I had a few comments about where to purchase them. Well, I just couldn't resist, and picked up this little treasure. I got mine from Saya in Tokyo Midtown in Roppongi, however you can also order them online from the All About Style Store. I'm happy to report that it's as functional as it is beautiful.


Speaking of which, I don't remember if Japan has always had a great range of stylish desk accessories, but I saw so much great stationery and desk top items and wanted to buy them all! One particular brand I have posted about before, Craft Design Technology, has this super chic brass desk set which I couldn't find in store while I was there, but I did stock up on some of their pens and notebooks. Their new website has a list of stockists in Japan and elsewhere as well as a list of online stores.


Another brand whose desk accessories I fell in love with was Romeo which I saw at Ito-ya, also at Midtown. Their designs were super chic and looked really sturdy, especially this desk top pencil sharpener. Perfect for a designer or anyone else who draws a lot.


I will definitely be stocking up next time I go back, which hopefully will not be another 6 years away!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you're back. Spring arrived in Europe and we will be spending Easter at Lake Como. Hopefully our batteries will be recharged again after our break to use all your inspiration and work on our house again.
Happy Easter from the Netherlands.

Blue said...

Welcome back. The photo of the blossom is beautiful. Atlanta a the moment is a sea of white, pink and the freshest of green.

The desk set is covetable but the bottle opener is exquisite.