Monday 17 March 2008

François Catroux

I've had all things French on my mind for the past week. After posting about a Jean-Louis Deniot designed apartment in Paris filled with contemporary art it left me thinking of other amazing apartments filled with wonderful treasures, and lead me to a London townhouse decorated by another stellar Parisian, François Catroux. The owners - Prince Pavlos and Princess Marie Chantal of Greece (the former from the Miller family of Duty Free fame, whose family commissioned a Palladian style Villa in Hong Kong by NY based Fairfax & Sammons) - have a stunning collection of art which Catroux has worked his magic with. The Princess claims their home took 3 years of serious house-hunting to find, but I think it was worth the wait...

A Hervé van der Straeten chandelier hangs in the entrace above an English Regency mirror and a c. 1917 Viennese ebony & silver bench.

In the main living area antiques such as the Viennese ebony chair and a Regency mirror mix harmoniously with more contemporary pieces such as the Hervé van der Straeten designed lamp and cabinet, a Christian Liaigre side table, and custom pieces designed by Catroux. The Flowers painting above the fireplace is by US artist Donald Baechler.

A Jean-Michel Basquiat painting provides some colour in the otherwise neutral library. The custom sofa and chairs are by Catroux, the coffee table is from Christian Liaigre.

T.H. Robsjohn-Gibbings designed dining chairs by Saridis around a Catroux designed dining table. A custom Claude Lalanne chandelier hangs above and a Hervé van der Straeten mirror sits above the fireplace.

All photos from House & Garden November 2006, photography by Robert Wyatt.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

oooh I love that first chandelier......and how the artwork becomes a wonderful feature in such a neutral room.

C.P. said...

This is to die for. I love rooms in which artwork takes centerstage (the Basquiat), but in the other rooms, the furniture and accessories are so interesting that they serve as art. I love the sculptural table lamp in the living area.

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh this is just soo stunning! Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Things That Inspire said...

This is an incredibly beautiful home! I wonder where it is in London? I remember seeing their former home in some magazine years ago, and I recognize the Donald Baechler from the old home. Great post!

The Peak of Chic said...

I think the Deniot apt. got me on a French kick too! I love the Catroux designed home here. In fact, I recently came across a 1960s image of Catroux' home- rather mod!

M said...

Ooo, I have this issue of H&G (RIP!!) and I love the entryway and living room. So sophisticated!

Suzy said...

Just imagine - I love the chandelier too - in fact I love all of the Herve van der Straeten peices they have. So chic!

C.P. - Catroux has done such a great job of making the art the focal point, the Basquiat is so stunning it should take centrestage!

M&Co. - thanks for visiting!

TTI - I'd love to see the images of their former apartment if you ever find them...the article didn't say what part of London it was in, but its such a beauty!

Jennifer - I'm still on the french kick actually...if you find images of the other Catroux apartment, I'd love to see them!

Emily - I love it too..and RIP to H&G indeed...I'm really missing it!

Unknown said...

The French have such flair and chic. I am loving the Viennese ebony chair.

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Just amazing light fixtures!