Saturday 5 July 2014

Aberdeen Street Social

Yesterday I finally had lunch at Aberdeen Street Social. What was meant to be a catch up with a friend and ex-colleague over lunch turned into a 4hr session. Not a bad way to spend a Friday afternoon I'd say. Working for oneself has perks sometimes. 

Anyway, I think I may have found my new favorite restaurant in Hong Kong.  It seems chef Jason Atherton can do no wrong in this city, after the successful openings of 22 Ships and Ham & Sherry. Londoners will know him from Pollen Street Social, Berner's Tavern and several other establishments.

The restaurant is located in one of the out buildings in PMQ (the former Police Married Quarters) which is one of very few historical restoration projects in Hong Kong. The interiors are by Beijing-based duo Lyndon Neri and Rossana Hu of Neri & Hu.

The designers have used a combination of smoked oak flooring and cabinetry, brass accents, black mirror and accents of green (which sounds like a disastrous combination) brilliantly to create something that's warm, inviting and equally unpretentious. The custom light fixtures were beautiful, and the shade of green on the ceiling has me dreaming of re-painting our apartment.

Big thumbs up from me!












No comments: