Thursday 9 June 2011

Splendid Spina's pretty passamenterie

I think I've had a closet fascination for passamenterie ever since I found out the meaning of the word...about 15 years ago. My love for passamenterie has meant I've tried to use them in my projects whenever I could, but the lack of more modern designs tended to limit their use to more traditional style interiors, until quite recently. A great tie-back or tassel, in my opinion, is like jewellery for a room. In the same way a knock-out necklace can make an average outfit look a million bucks, a jazzy little tassel will give a curtain or a window just a little more pizazz.

There are not many passamenterie companies left in the world who still hand make their products, but Spina (of the UK) is one of the few remaining and I've had my eye on them for a while. Not only are they making great contemporary designs, but they're making them with unusual and luxurious materials. Their latest collection "Temari" uses eggshells, hand-woven rattan amongst others, and prevoius collections have made use coral, crystal, goose and ostrich feathers, mother of pearl, semi precious stones and Mink fur!

Check out the latest collection...



Threading on Eggshells Tie-back


Hand-woven Rattan Tie-back



Black Temari Tie-back


Now Spina is lending their crafty skills to embellishing cushions....


Assorted cushions from the Embellished collection>


the lovely "Coronet" cushion



and the lovely "Blossom" cushion



To die for. I think I'll take one of each thanks....

1 comment:

helen tilston said...

Beautiful post. Those cushions and tie backs are exquisite
Thanks for the introduction
Helen