Sunday 30 January 2011

Mr Catroux's chicness

One of my favorite parts of "Living in Style Paris" was getting to see more of the work of legendary designer François Catroux. It was such a treat for me mostly because he doesn't have a website with a portfolio for me to sate my visual cravings on a regular basis.

Even a google search does not return much...not much more than what I have already posted on the stylish man of internet mystery (do other bloggers experience that too? its very frustrating...)

I did come across this lovely home a while ago (can't for the life of me remember where, so sorry there will be no credit unless someone out there can assist in that department)...and it quietly whispers Catroux style in abundance.

From what I have seen of his work, Catroux uses neutrals like a master and makes a "beige" room seem warm, rich and inviting. These are no exception. He's also a virtuoso at mixing modern and vintage. The work of one of my faves Hervé van der Straeton seems to be also a favorite of Monsieur Catroux and his clients as I noticed a few of his pieces in this apartment.

I'm particularly enamoured with the walls of the study...











...so what does everyone else think?

7 comments:

Blue said...

I think its one of the most beautiful places I have seen. Despite not being a lover of neutral interiors these rooms have the sophistication lacking in most of what one sees in magazines. Terrific!

The Devoted Classicist said...

There is a lot to like about these serene, tailored, interiors accented with classic modern pieces. It is a style also done almost identically by others, and I hesitate to say who copies whom (because I do not know for sure). But this aspect of Catroux's work is certainly handsome!

Unknown said...

i think "chic".

Suzy said...

Hi Blue - yes I agree, I'm woefully disappointed most of the time with what I see in magazines...maybe there is still room in the market for another..?

And yes, I think Handsome and Chic are appropriate adjectives here!

Unknown said...

I think it is absolutely boring with no atmosphere at all and might as well be any hotel suite

Suzy said...

Hi Gina, its interesting, another reader emailed me to say almost the same thing. These rooms seem to have people divided, you either love them or hate them I guess...

Anonymous said...

It belongs to Alejandro Santo Domingo. Very rich, but without much personality.....