Tuesday 14 August 2007

Diamonds are a girls best friend

One particular design feature/motif that I particularly like, and one that I never seem to tire of, is diamond buttoning on upholstery. I'm not sure what it is about it that I like so much - maybe its the fact that it seems to give a piece instant history (or suggested history), or maybe its the fact that it makes furniture look so plump, comfortable and therefore inviting. I found plenty of images around of old and current examples, so I decided to do some reading about the history of diamond buttoning. My trusty library very rarely fails:

"Diamond buttoning has been used since the Victorian era (circa early 1800's) to fix and decorate fabrics into chair seats and backs. During the 1950's buttoning became fashionable again, partly as a decorative feature, and also as a method of holding fabrics into a compound shaped piece". - from 'The Upholsterer's pocket reference book', by David James.

A few recent examples I found were from the new collections of Poltrona Frau, and the Spanish designer Jamie Hayon. I love their interpretation of a modern take on a traditional style.




Poltrona Frau - Regina chair


Jamie Hayon sofa for BD Showtime collection

These images show the resurgence of diamond buttoning as a decorative feature and as a method of attaching fabric to curved shapes, dating from the 1920's to 1950's. I particularly love the Edward Wormley slipper chairs and the headboard. Such timeless designs.

Edward Wormley slipper chairs, from 1st Dibs



1960's Slipper chairs from 1st Dibs



James Mont armchair from 1st Dibs



Tufted settee (source unknown)

French Canape from 1st Dibs


Andre Arbus Dining chair from William Switzer


Ottoman (source unknown)





1920's leather settee from 1st Dibs



1940's silk headboard from 1st Dibs


Diamond buttoning as a motif has gained so much popularity that textiles and wallpaper designs have been produced with a faux-buttoning design, I'm guessing mainly as a buget option for a look that can be labour intensive, and therefore not cheap. I love the wallpaper. I saw a photo of it used in a very girly boutique in Sydney, and it looked fabulous.




Fabric from Kravet (pattern 9091)


"Harlow" wallpaper from Evans & Brown

These interior shots, to me, prove that diamond buttoning never goes out of style. Miles Redd is the master, of course!



Interior image from Beach Studios



Interior by Nicholas Haslam



Image from Kor Hotel group



Interior of Miles Redd's Living room

13 comments:

The Peak of Chic said...

Suzy- I'm dying to see the photos, but nothing is coming up. Is it my computer????

girl meets glamour said...

They for sure are! I love this collection of images. I almost used that wallcovering on a retail project and I was so dispointed when I couldn't!


~Kate

katiedid said...

I love the white settee! And Miles Redd is one of my design crushes. He can do no wrong.

Suzy said...

Hi POC, thanks for letting me know. Not sure what that was, but it seemed okay when I posted it. Just pasted photos in again (very tedious), but I think it should be okay now. Let me know otherwise. Hope you enjoy!

Suzy said...

Girl meets glamour - what a shame - I'd love to use it in a project sometime soon.

Suzy said...

Hi katiedid - I love that sette too. And I know what you mean about Miles Redd, he is a GOD!

The Peak of Chic said...

Glad I can see these beautiful images now! I love that 1st dibs headboard, and the Evans & Brown wallpaper is to die for!!!

Things That Inspire said...

Great collection of photos. I was not able to see them yesterday, but could see them today.

Unknown said...

I love the Regina chair.
I used 4 of them for a client and they were upholstered in white Maserati leather. Very luxurious. They are so comfortable to sitin,
you feel like you are cocooned. And they swivel and tilt and are ergonomically correct. The job that I did them for was featured in Architectural Digest magazine December 2006. Anne Harwell has just recently done a rendering of them...check it out on my blog:
http://patriciagrayinc.blogspot.com/2007/08/anne-harwell.html
and the Architectural Digest article: http://patriciagrayinc.com/ad2006.pdf

Great Post

Suzy said...

Thanks POC. I love that headboard too. Actually the wallpaper was the whole inspiration behind the post. Its fabulous!

Suzy said...

Thanks Sarah!

Suzy said...

Hi Patricia - I thought those might have been the same chairs. I saw the painting of them, it is amazing. And I'm glad to hear they are as comfortable to sit on as they are beautiful to look at.

TIG said...

Great post! Love, love, love the wall from Beach Studios and don't even get me started about that headboard!